Happy New Year and welcome to Open Anniversary's first edition of this newsletter!
The goal of Open Anniversary is to provide an innovative and inclusive platform for the community to remember, celebrate, and reimagine the open source movement.
Our first edition will cover several key anniversaries happening this month:
- 20 years of Wikipedia
- 20 years of Creative Commons
- 20 years of Drupal
Interestingly enough, all these communities share one common birthday: January 15th, 2001. While many activities are planned for this month, these communities will be celebrating their anniversaries throughout the whole year.
Free Culture Timeline
The Free Culture timeline featuring Wikipedia and Creative Commons is now live at:
The Drupal community has also created their 20th Anniversary timeline at:
Free Culture Activities
- Jan 1: Katherine Maher on Wikipedia's 20th Anniversary
- Jan 15: Wikipedia’s 20th Birthday Party
- Jan 15: Wiki @ 20 Panel
- Jan 15: One World Birthday
- Jan 16-24: Wiki 20 Countdown
Free Culture Books and Films
Free Culture Press Coverage
- The Unconventional Innovator Who Created Wikipedia, MIT Sloan Management Review (paywall)
- Wikipedia is 20, and its reputation has never been higher, The Economist (paywall)
- Wikipedia has transformed knowledge – so why is it still looked down on?, The Telegraph (paywall)